“If it's true I live in a world where hope has all but died, and if I really have a living love alive in me,
How am I letting it be known? How am I letting it be seen?
These are the signs, these are the signs of life: the love that proves there is a living faith inside…
These are the signs, these are the signs of life: the compassion and concern that make this world turn…
These are the signs of life!”

-Steven Curtis Chapman

Thursday, June 3, 2010

It Doesn't Change Who He Is


“Even if God never does a single thing for the rest of your life and you die without Him having done anything for you – that doesn’t change who God is.”


Wow. I don’t know about you, but that is an intense message for me to truly wrap my mind around. On Sunday, one of my pastors was talking about Faith and who God is. We’ve been studying Hebrews for about four years now and today we came back to Hebrews chapter 11:1. I’m pretty sure every person in my church, including the two year olds can says this verse now because of how many times we’ve referenced it. “Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.”

I was interpreting the sermon and when I interpret, I don’t always remember a lot of what goes on because I’m so focused on the changing one language for the other, but for the second half of the sermon, the other interpreter took over so I got a break and could actually pay attention to the message.

That’s when he said it. “Even if God never does a single thing for the rest of your life and you die without Him having done anything for you – that doesn’t change who God is.”

Wow. That’s some serious stuff. If God never answers a single prayer for the rest of my life, it doesn’t change who He is? Now, mentally, I know all of this. But in my heart – let’s just say sometimes I doubt a little more. What if I’m praying for something really powerful, like for my friend who’s dad has an incurable disease that’s taking over his body? What if I’m praying for salvation for a family member who gets closer to death every day? What if I’m praying for things like a passion for a life that glorifies God? What if I’m praying for my friend’s family that is breaking apart? What if I’m praying for my relationship with my siblings?

What if God never answers those prayers with a yes? What happens to my faith if God answers “no” to each of my prayers? Some of those break my heart every time they come to mind. I have wept because of those prayers, none of which have yet to be answered. How, if I am to truly trust that He loves me beyond all measure, can I trust Him when He doesn’t answer?

But maybe it’s not that He isn’t answering, but He’s just not answering the way I want. Maybe my friend’s father will be healed on the other side of eternity. Maybe God’s calling me to make the first move in the relationship with my sibs. What if He’s calling me to trust Him and wait for His timing? Could I be assuming the worst about God because things aren’t working in my timing? Because in the end, when everything is said and done… it still doesn’t change who He is. His character never changes. His promises don’t change.

I won’t claim to have it worked out. But that statement really made me take a step back. I’m still thinking about it, to be honest. One thing I know beyond a doubt: He is who He claims, whether that means I’m on the mountain being restored and refreshed, or going through the valley, or if I feel like I’m stuck somewhere in the wilderness without hill or dip anywhere around. He is who He says.

Makes me think of the verse I found early this year when I was really struggling from Psalm 62:11-12a:

“One thing God has spoken, two things have I heard: that you, O God, are strong, and that you, O Lord, are loving.”

Learning who He is,
Casey

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to blogspot, stalker-friend!
    I'm excited to read about your God moments.

    Proud to be your fist comment-er (and follower?) :-)

    Love you,
    <>< Katie

    PS: I love the shirt you're wearing in your profile picture.

    ReplyDelete